What is this website about?
The name of this portal – TAXEDU – is derived from the words ‘Tax’ and ‘Education’.
TAXEDU is a European Union pilot project. Its aim is to educate young European citizens about tax and how it affects their lives.
The portal targets three age groups with tailored information:
- Children: an explanation of what taxes are and the benefits everyone experiences day-to-day. The section includes some surprising and fun facts about tax from around Europe to make learning fun. The language is simple and accessible.
- Teenagers: a description of what taxes are and the benefits for everyday life. This section includes more details than the one for children, as well as concrete examples that fit with teenagers’ interests (downloading music, buying online, etc.).
- Young adults: information relevant to this particular phase in life, as young people make the transition to adulthood (do they have to pay tax when they start university, launch their business, work in another country, etc.).
Information is conveyed through games, e-Learning material and microlearning clips so that European youngsters can learn about tax in its different forms, and the issues associated with it (tax fraud, tax evasion, etc.) in a fun and engaging way.
The teachers’ corner offers resources, tips and tricks on teaching about tax.
Objectives of the website?
The objectives of the TAXEDU web-portal are to:
- contribute to the fiscal education of young European citizens;
- reduce tax evasion and fraud across Europe, through better information and education in this area;
- provide European citizens with information on the services and facilities that are made possible through tax (education, healthcare, etc.).
Who are we?
The project was initially led by the European Parliament and the European Commission (Directorate General for Taxation and Customs), while national tax administrations participated. Most importantly, young Europeans were consulted during the creation of this site and provided feedback on its learning content. The project achieved to provide a wide range of educational material on different supports, created a network of promoters and carried out a successful communication campaign creating various informational materials to facilitate the national uptake. Once the project was public, the maintenance of this site, the educational material, and the ongoing communication campaigns are increasingly supported by DG TAXUD and by the National Tax Administrations through nominated contact persons.
How can you contact us?
For content and EU related questions, site-related suggestions, complaints or any other questions please contact the European Commission, DG TAXUD on email@example.com.
For the questions related to the national content, please consult the TAX Authorities Contact List.
By clicking the download links you can find:
- Guidelines on how to use the interactive features of the Taxedu Portal created especially for the group of users:
- Guidelines for Simple Users/Teachers
- Guidelines for Administrators/Editors/Content managers
- Mini guide for TAXEDU national promoters:
- Mini Guide for TAXEDU National promoters – compact version
- Mini Guide for TAXEDU National promoters – full version
- Mini Guide for adding News and multi-language News
- Brochure for general public:
- Spreading the word about the TAXEDU portal